Are you dog ready ?
If you are considering adopting a dog & especially
a cocker spaniel here are a few things you should think about.
1. How many people in the household want a cocker
2. Cockers love human company, they are not the sort
of dog who enjoys being alone often, how will this impact on your
3. What arrangements will you make for your dog if
you go on a day long shopping trip? What about holidays? Remember
the cost of kennels for a 2 week holiday can be in the region of
4. Cockers are a long coated breed. They require daily
brushing and (preferably) hand stripping. Who will do this? Professional
grooming may cost about £35 per time depending where you live.
This may be for clipping , not hand stripping which costs more.
5. Are you ready for hairy carpets, clothes, floors
6. Does anyone in the family have an allergy to dog
7. Who will exercise the dog? Does this person have
the time & inclination to do so?
8. Are you prepared for a messy pup?
9. Consider these costs:
Purchase price (expect to pay £700+ for a well
Secure crate/harness for car travel
Vet fees (insurance rarely covers the full amount)
This is not intended to put you off but to highlight
changes to your life that dog ownership will bring.
Still interested? Then click
here to fill in the puppy questionnaire.